Foodie Friday: Tzatziki Sauce
I made it a personal new year resolution to practice cooking new recipes. My plan is to share one new recipe each week on Friday, so I decided to share my resolution with you starting with this yummy Tzatziki Sauce. I love Gyro's and the perfect addition to any Gyro is tzatziki. This recipe is from Midlife Healthy Living.
I find most of the recipes I want to make through Pinterest. It is the easiest way to organize the new foods I want to try out. I have a few cookbooks but Pinterest always seems to work out better for me. Where do you go to find new recipes?!
I also made some "pita chips" to go with the sauce for a yummy snack. I put pita chips in quotations because I actually used whole wheat Lavash Flatbreads from Trader Joes for the pita chips since that was already in my pantry. I cooked them with olive oil and herbs in the oven with my cast iron skillet. They came out crispy and well seasoned; perfect for dipping.
Ok, so the best part... here is the recipe I used for the Tzatziki sauce.
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeds removed, and mince.
- 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped onion
- 3/4 cup plain Greek Yogurt: ( I used FAGE)
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons Mayo
- 1 small clove garlic grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
- Dice cucumber finer and put into a cheese cloth and remove water
- Scoop cucumber into a bowl
- Combine the cucumber with the onion. yogurt, sour cream, mayo garlic, garlic powder, and fresh dill
- Refrigerate for 1 hour before severing
- Add additional of the ingredients to taste
- Whole Wheat Lavish Flatbread ( or Pita Bread)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/4 tsp garlic poweder
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- pinch of salt (to taste)
- 1/4 tsp of Parsley
- half of lime squeezed
- Mix olive oil, garlic powder, pepper, salt, and lime juice
- Use a basting brush to put the mixture onto the bread
- Put olive oil into the cast iron skillet and cook both sides of the bread on medium heat for 2 minutes each side
- Put into the oven for 15 minutes on 375 degrees
- Cut bread into pieces
Share with us some recipes you think we should try in the comment section below!
Xoxo - Jenna